I recently completed a PAINLESS full detangling session!
Strategy, Products and Tools, and Method
1. Prevent hair from getting too tangled in the first place:
The VERY, VERY, VERY CRITICAL REASON:
- At night wear hair in 1-4 ponytails banded on the ends
- To maintain stretch during shampooing: Put hair in 6-8 twists, shampoo one twist at a time, and retwist to keep hair stretched/elongated
2. Detangle out of the shower using the Harp Method and Funnel Method on damp, Soultanicals Hair Glide and oil -laden hair:
HERE IS a VIDEO demonstrating the Harp Method:
Here is VIDEO #2 of Funnel Method on wet hair. I do the Funnel Method on damp hair.
- Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Knot-Proof Hair Glide
- Soultanicals Knot Dressing Oil Rinse (in the future I hope to try their prepoo oil to see how that does instead)
- Spray bottle of water or flairosol bottle of water
- The Wet Brush (available from Target, others stores, and online)
- The Kent 16t seamless course-toothed and fine-toothed comb (I ordered mine from Amazon)
- OPTIONAL: Plastic disposable processing cap to help move hair out of the way as needed
- My Detangling Method: Working Quadrant by Quadrant:
- Wear plastic disposable processing cap on top of hair.
- Leaving all other hair under the plastic disposable processing cap, pull out a not-yet-detangled quandrant of hair and un-pineapple (i.e. remove the band at the root and the band at the end). Now all hair is under the processing cap except this quadrant of hair.
- Split the free quadrant of hair into two parts and work on one half at a time,
- Apply Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Knot-Proof Hair Glide to entire length of the section, smoothing, completely unfurling, elongating, and separating strands. BE SURE TO USE THE FINGERS TO COMPLETELY UNFURL THE HAIR, FOCUSING ON STRETCHING AND PULLING OUT THE ENDS, FULLY, USING FINGERTIPS: Often-times what could turn into a “tangle”disappears with full unfurling.
- Apply Soultanicals Knot Dressing Oil Rinse.
- Starting at the bottom of the section, gently glide Wet Brush through to the ends. Repeat higher up, then higher up — until brush glides freely through entire section. As needed, use spray bottle or flairosol bottle to add more water to the hair section.
- Starting at the bottom of the section, use “medium-toothed” comb (i.e., larger than fine-toothed) to comb through to the ends. Repeat higher up, then higher up.
- Either finish detangling via finger detangling or via use of a finer-toothed comb.
- Twist section back up to prevent (re)tangling.
- Stick detangled, retwisted section under the processing cap.
- Repeat steps 4-10 for the second half of the quadrant of hair.
- Repeat steps 2-11 for all the remaining quadrants of hair
After that, I had 8 twists in. I stretched them around my head and secured them with 8 pins like the one shown between the Soultanicals products in the picture attached above. I let my hair dry and then styled.
At night to try to prevent re-tangling, I wear my hair in 1-4 ponytails, banded at the end(s) with a clothy, Ouchless band. Lastly, I wear a processing cap under a bonnet to achieve the baggy method for moisture retention.