Information about caring for Type 3 and Type 4 hair is vast and conflicting. At this page, I share the resources that I wish someone had shared with my when I first decided to wear my natural, Type 4 hair. I’m STRAIGHT now that I’ve explored the streamlined collection of video clips, websites, and YouTube channels listed below.
If I had found these resources FIRST, they would have saved me so much time and money and worry . . . and hair. The Green Beauty YouTube Channel alone is life-changing.
Sometimes knowledge changes everything. Please do check out the collection of resources below and let me know what you think! They are indispensable and not-to-be missed, in my humble opinion. 🙂
If you can explore no other resource on this page, please explore these two:
- Environmental Working Group blog’s consumer product database: Enter your product or product ingredients to learn about their safety or toxicity levels. Look up products and ingredients you’ve been eyeing. Read about recommended products.
- The Green Beauty YouTube Channel: Excellent graphics and animations to explain the WHYs of hair care. Excellent topics: anemia and hair growth, what’s the big deal about product build-up, and so much more!
Example Green Beauty YouTube Channel video: The LCO versus LOC for Low Porosity versus High Porosity Hair
Resources by Category
Start here to learn about harmful ingredients in hair products and how to avoid them:
- Environmental Working Group blog’s consumer product database: Enter your product or product ingredients to learn about their safety or toxicity levels. Look up products. Find products that are safe.
Start here to learn about the potential silicone-sulfate endless cycle of hair dryness to help you decide whether you want to avoid non-water-soluble silicones in hair products or not:
- Curly Girl Method (explanation of and rationale behind a silicone-free method of caring for curly hair)
Start here to understand how the dew point affects what ingredients you should or should not use on your hair and to look up your city’s dew point and get recommended styling strategies/ingredients based on the day’s weather and dew point in your city:
- The 411 on Dewpoints and Humectants
- NaturallyCurly’s The Frizz Forecast (scroll down and enter your curl pattern and zip code)
Start here to accurately, thoroughly, and deeply understand caring for natural Type 3/4 hair:
- The Green Beauty YouTube Channel
- The Natural Haven: Science and Natural Hair Blog
- The Sciency-Hair Blog
- Naptural85’s YouTube Channel of Tutorials
- Chime’s (HairCrush’s) YouTube Channel of Tutorials
- Mahogany Curls’s YouTube Channel of Tutorials
- Pashtash’s YouTube Channel of Tutorials
- Longhaircareforum.com to participate in an online hair care community, post questions and receive responses, learn of sales, discover products and techniques, read amazingly helpful threads, etc.
- The Maximum Hydration Method
- The Anthony Dickey Method (please see video below):